Monday, June 11, 2007

Awesome possibilities

If you haven't yet read the wiki, here are a few highlights:
  • XBMC will be a complete distro, not just an application you run in some other distro.
  • You will be able to run it as a Live CD or off of a memory key.
They are also gunning for a 15-seconds-to-GUI startup time. I know a few people who are all hung up on startup times for a system like this, so the 15 seconds should be reasonable. Personally, I run my XBMC Xbox 24/7, so startup times are pretty moot.
I love the idea of being able to package XBMC with a few media files on a CD or on a USB key and run them on somebody else's computer. We don't know yet, however, how wide-spread the hardware support will be, so maybe that dream won't come to fruition right away. If they release a "preferred" hardware set to run this on, I'll be building that machine post haste. I want to have the ideal video card/sound card/mobo/etc to run XBMC as soon as they release it into the wild.

No comments: